BY PHESHEYA KUNENE | EDITOR
The National Maize Corporation (NMC) has reopened the payment window for the 2025/26 Beans Production Input Subsidy, giving farmers whose applications were approved but not paid another chance to participate.
The window opens on Monday, 5 January, 2026, and will remain open until the budget is exhausted. Eligible farmers can pay at Eswatini Bank branches or through MoMo Pay at the nearest Rural Development Area (RDA) office. Input packages are priced at E6,000 per hectare and E3,000 per half-hectare, with beneficiaries required to present a national ID and the NMC confirmation SMS when making payment.
NMC Chief Executive Officer Mavela Vilane said the reopening is meant to ensure fairness and continuity for farmers who were previously approved but were unable to pay on time, adding that the subsidy remains central to efforts to strengthen food security and support smallholder production.

Production gap in numbers
The subsidy comes as Eswatini continues to rely heavily on imports to meet bean demand. NMC-linked estimates put annual consumption at around 7,000 tonnes, while production remains far below national needs.
Recent figures cited by sector stakeholders show the gap is structural: in 2023, smallholder farmers produced 582.5 tonnes, while three-year averages place annual production at about 1,177 tonnes against average annual consumption of 7,370 tonnes—a shortfall of roughly 6,193 tonnes that is typically covered through imports.
New intake and February planting
Beyond the reopened window for previously approved farmers, NMC says the programme will also take in new applicants to ensure the remaining budget is fully used. NMC Corporate Communications Specialist Lungelo Nkambule said application forms will be available throughout January at RDA offices and through extension officers, allowing time for vetting so successful farmers can plant in February 2026.
Minister of Agriculture Mandla Tshwaku has previously indicated that the remaining subsidy budget could accommodate about 1,400 additional farmers, with applications handled on a first-come, first-served basis once priority cases are settled.
Beans are a short-season crop with relatively quick turnaround, making them attractive for farmers seeking faster returns and improved household nutrition. With input costs often the biggest barrier to entry, the subsidy is designed to free up farmer capital for labour, irrigation and day-to-day crop management.
Farmers: “It gives us confidence to plan”
Smallholder farmer Falina Shabangu of Nkwene said improved access to inputs helps farmers plan with greater certainty and can lift yields. She said consistent support builds confidence to expand beyond subsistence and farm with a clearer market focus.
Execution will decide outcomes
While the payment window is a key step, the programme’s impact will depend on delivery and follow-through. Timely input distribution, extension support and market coordination will determine whether the subsidy translates into higher tonnage—or remains a budget line with limited production gains.
For now, NMC’s message is clear: the window is open, the need is urgent, and farmers who qualify should act quickly while funds remain available.






